You Gotta Serve Somebody

Earlier this week, I watched fellow Canadian, Jim Carrey's commencement address to the graduating students at Maharashi University. Even though I find him a bit of a crazed nut as an actor, I couldn't help but be captivated by his words.


I made a poster about one of his quotes as I was so inspired by his wise words that came at a good time. I was worrying about money and feeling guilty about my choices. I was feeling judged by others, defeated and not good enough.


This morning I was reading the artists' Robert and Sara Genn's newsletter  http://clicks.robertgenn.com/jim-carrey.php which commented on that video and brought up another one of Jim Carrey's wise quotes which inspired me to create another poster this morning. Who knew such a crazy actor could be so inspiring?


What a good way to look at it!  Sharing our talents and skills with others is being of service even if no money is involved. I never thought of it that way. I am trying to do that. Maybe I am on the right path after all!

Serving others does not mean we have to be like Mother Teresa. It doesn't mean lowering ourselves and become a drudge. It doesn't mean working ourselves to an early grave.

Giving of ourselves even in a small way is important. Reaching out to share our special talents gives us purpose and joy. Switching our mindset from "What do I want?" to "What service can I offer?" can make all the difference.

That's one of the reasons I attend church even though I wouldn't say I'm terribly devout. I like the good Christian values about sharing and caring for others and being of service. It reminds me not to be selfish and that it's not all about me.

Finally this Bob Dylan song came to mind and I had to post that link. Here is a great  version by Natalie Cole.


You are unique and special and the world needs your gifts if you are willing to share them. It doesn't have to be dull drudgery. Make it joyous!

We all gotta serve somebody!


Comments

  1. Beautifully sincere and heartfelt, who could imagine Jim Carrey as capable of so much wisdom, but then exteriors are usually deceptive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised, too, Sunila. He has more depth than I thought. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. For a guy who plays a good idiot in the movies, he's pretty darn smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising, isn't it, Loni? Thanks for commenting. I haven't been blogging much lately. In a bit of a slump but Jim Carrey's quotes did help a bit to get me on track again.

      Delete
  3. I've always loved Jim Carrey's comedy but this video made me respect him at all new levels. I had shared this video on FB, so inspiring and touching his words should reach out there and be understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Aditi. I was surprised at how wise and articulate he was as we're used to seeing him play crazy characters who are off the wall. I wonder if it was your wall where I originally saw the video. Might be. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the video. I loved how he ended his speech with "choose love and don't let fear walk over your playful heart".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had so much wisdom to share, didn't he Suzy? I found it comforting as I've been in a bit of a slump this week.

      Delete
  5. Wow! he is truly inspiring! I have seen his picture quotes on Facebook, but was not aware that he speaks so well too. Thanks for sharing, Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference