Wordy Wednesday - Teen Turmoil

It's Wordy Wednesday time at Blog-a-Rhythm! Woohooo!



Once again, I am motivated to produce, knowing that deadlines come even faster based on time zones in India and that the Linky will be locked in no time!

I thought I'd better get in gear and do Wordy Wednesday, especially since it's my prompt this week. 

I had fun writing this, remembering the turbulent teen years where you could be an emotional wreck one moment and in a state of bliss the next. Emotions were so heightened and raw and you felt like the whole world was scrutinizing you, looking at every flaw, which they weren't of course. You often felt insecure about friendships, worried about being slighted or cast aside for someone more interesting. I constantly fluctuated between admiration and jealousy towards my best friend who was so much more outgoing than me and more popular with the boys. I was so shy I didn't even have a boyfriend as a teenager.

As a teen, everything was such a huge deal and a major crisis from what clothes you wore, to how you wore your hair, to that zit on your chin. Honestly! I think back now on how silly I was and the stupid things I worried about.

If only I could go back now and tell my teen self to relax and enjoy myself more instead of fretting over every little thing, blowing it all out of proportion.

This week's Wordy Wednesday prompt was the phrase:

I would never forgive her for what she'd done.


I would never forgive her for what she’d done. My friend Stacey had a lot of nerve sneaking off with my boyfriend, Tim at my birthday party. They’d been gone for ages.
I pictured them in a dark corner kissing and laughing about how gullible I was.  How could I be so stupid? I should have seen the signs.  I didn’t even want to look at my phone. They had probably posted about their new relationship and plastered Facebook with tons of selfies by now. I hated them both.

How I wished I could hide in my bedroom and forget all about this horrible day. Even in this noisy, crowded room, I felt completely alone. Angry tears welled up in my eyes. This was the worst birthday party ever.

Sometime later, Tim and Stacey appeared. They each carried one side of a huge decorated birthday cake with “Happy Birthday, Kayla!” written on it. Sixteen flickering candles threatened to set off the smoke alarm.

Everyone started to sing Happy Birthday as they placed the cake on the table.
“Happy Birthday, Kayla!” Tim said, putting his arm around me. He kissed my cheek and handed me a colourful gift bag.

I gazed at the beautiful cake in amazement.  Taking a deep breath, I blew out the candles and everyone cheered.

“Thanks, guys,” I said, wiping away happy tears. I smiled at Tim and Stacey.

This was the best birthday party ever.

Comments

  1. Awww, this was so cute! And so true too. How often we mistake someone's intentions and more so when we are teenagers. Such a turbulent phase that is. Well done on the prompt and good job on getting it done before the deadline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it done with an hour to spare, Shailaja! Love living on the edge!

      This girl was a bit paranoid but I do remember having dumb thoughts like these and being convinced girlfriends were going to dump me for someone more interesting or prettier because I was too ordinary, shy and boring. Or if they found a boyfriend then I would be totally forgotten. Everything was such a big drama back then!

      Delete
  2. Aww! That was such a sweet tale of jealousy in the teen years! I agree with you about how we wasted time fretting over trivial issues in our teens. Wish we had made better use of our time then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, isn't it, Shilpa? Oh, to have the wisdom of age to go back and make better use of our precious youth. I spent too much time worrying about dumb things or feeling sorry for myself. Oh, to have that time back. Youth is wasted on the young as they say!

      Delete
  3. Well done, Cat! Takes me back to all the silly misunderstandings of teenagehood. Glad those days are past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Laurel. I sure wasted a lot of time worrying and feeling sorry for myself. Youth is wasted on the young!

      Delete
  4. Ah! The teenage years. I've bhad my share of misunderstandings ;)
    This was a cute post Cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aditi. Yes, the teen years are made of misunderstandings with all the raw emotion.

      Delete
  5. Awwww...glad this had a happy ending after all! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she worried for nothing. Story of my life!

      Delete
  6. awww thank god her fears were false :) beautiful story

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww! That's so cute and beautiful. Glad that it ended well and there were no hard feelings! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shilpa. Ah, teens, eh? Such a turbulent time and so silly, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference